Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 3 - Farmer's Market

I scoped out my first local Farmer's Market this morning.  Thankfully, San Antonio has a pretty hopping local market scene, so it wasn't hard to find one near my house.  I referenced this list.

There were only 4 booths set up, but plenty of produce.  One farmer had eggs and free-range chicken, which I purchased.  I also got some local honey.


My final loot was 1 whole chicken, 12 eggs, 1 watermelon, 4 cucumbers, 7 tomatoes and the honey for $30.  Having never purchased at a Farmer's Market before, I wasn't sure what to expect pricing to be, but I don't feel like this is out of my budget.  I spoke with every one I purchased from and they were all warm people with bright smiles.  It was refreshing and a totally nice experience over all.

Afterwards, I went to Sprouts Farmers Market, which is a privately owned Arizona- based chain of  health food stores.  Not everything in there is what I'm looking for (just because it's organic doesn't mean it isn't processed) and I had to read labels carefully, but with a little time I was able to find everything I wanted at pretty reasonable prices.  I spent $119, so almost $150 total for what I think should get us through the week...

So this isn't exactly breaking the bank, yet.  Everyone keeps warning me how expensive this lifestyle is, so we'll see.  So far I'm happy.


Mmmm... my son and I couldn't wait to cut into the watermelon. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment