Thursday, May 3, 2012

I have never had banana custard before, much less made it.  But it sounded like a kid-friendly breakfast to me. I mean, it's basically banana pudding, right?


After I blended all the ingredients together, I poured them into glass bowls, set them in a water bath, and baked them for 45 minutes.


I don't think they were entirely done, though, because they were just slightly liquidy in the middle.  The baby ate it just fine, but the older two turned up their noses.  Which was fine, because I loved it, and I didn't mind eating two all to myself at all.  Except that eggs make you sleepy.  Did you know that?  Eggs contain tryptophan.  I went to bed really early that night.

So my custard was a fail for the kids, but I had high hopes for lunch: salmon patties.  I had planned on buying canned salmon and making my own patties, but then I found these:


Wild salmon patties made with organic vegetables!


From a local and sustainable source!

I fried them in a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil and served them with avocado.  Three salmon patties and two organic avocados fed all four of us.  The kids actually ate the salmon, pretty impressive.

For dinner last night, I tried to make popcorn chicken, but it basically came out as chicken nuggets.  Served with mashed potatoes.



Oh, man.  I have to tell you about this smoothie I made today.  It's really basic, but it tasted exactly like an orange julius.  It was like a perfectly creamy probiotic orange julius!  I simply blended milk kefir with raw milk and fresh squeezed orange juice and added vanilla and oh my goodness.  Delicious.




And tonight... tonight for dinner I made a lasagna casserole and threw together these no rise dinner rolls.


This casserole was reeeally easy (I don't know why, but I don't like cooking or layering lasagna noodles...) and reeeally yummy.   The rolls were okay, definitely good for a quick "on the spot" side.  I smothered them in really creamy pastured butter & the kids were in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment