Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade Graham Crackers

I've always wanted to try making homemade graham crackers, and I finally did.

First, I assigned a very cute toddler to Spatula Licking Duty.  I never like to bake anything without having this special task assigned to a small, cute person.



Next, I measured out 2/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of butter.


I beat the sugar and butter until well mixed, then added the remaining ingredients: flour, water, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.



Once thoroughly mixed and a ball of dough formed, I placed the dough in a bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes.



After allowing the dough to rest, I rolled it out to 1/8 inch thickness.... which actually means I rolled it as thin as I could without it ripping apart, which may or may not have been 1/8 inch thickness.



The cute toddler who licks the spatula chose dinosaur shaped crackers, although we did also cut some into traditional rectangle shapes.



I placed them on a greased cookie sheet and baked at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.



The house smelled so good!



And the cute toddler approved of the taste.


These crackers go well with a glass of milk or a cup of cocoa!

Homemade Graham Crackers

1/2 cup softened butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp (or more) of cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
In a large bowl, put the softened butter and the sugar.  Beat until smooth and creamy.  Add the remaining ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture and mix well.  Let the mixture sit for 30-45 minutes.  Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll it to about 1/8-inch thickness.  Cut into squares or long rectangles, or with cookie cutters into whatever shapes you like.  Place on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350' for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment