Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Healthy Food on a Budget

Whenever I talk about organic food, the price of it inevitably ends up in the conversation.  Most people I know compromise by getting the most important things organic (like the dirty dozen and milk, for example), and the less important things conventional.  I do a lot of that myself -- buy it organic unless the organic version is so alarmingly expensive that it makes me want to cry.

Today, I did a pretty big grocery trip & decided to pay careful attention to what I'm getting and how much I'm spending. We are a family of five and I spend roughly $500-$600 a month on groceries.  I'm told this is a modest monthly food budget, but I don't know, I feel like it's a lot!

I went to Costco first and purchased:
  • 10 pounds of sweet potatoes
  • 8 organic apples
  • 6 pounds of pears
  • 4 jars of organic applesauce (11 lbs, 13 oz)
  • 2 whole organic free-range chickens
  • 1 lb. organic spinach
  • 2.5 lbs. organic celery
  • 5 lbs. clementines
  • 3 lbs. bananas
  • 5 large hass avocados
  • 18 oz. blackberries
  • 32 oz. strawberries
  • 2 lbs. brussel sprouts
  • 24 oz. baby bella mushrooms
  • 40 oz. organic tortilla chips
  • 32 oz. pure maple syrup
  • 2 loaves of organic sprouted whole wheat bread
  • 24 large organic eggs
  • 2 pounds organic butter

Total: $121.20


From there, I went to Sprout's Farmer's Market and bought:
  • 1 eggplant
  • 4 lemons
  • 5 limes
  • 6 oranges
  • 1 lb. organic carrots
  • 5 lbs organic potatoes
  • organic whole milk yogurt, plain
  • organic whole milk yogurt, vanilla
  • organic coconut milk creamer
  • half gallon organic whole milk
  • 1 block organic cheese
  • 2 packages mini babybel cheese
  • 1 package string cheese
  • 1 can black olives
  • 2 six packs of natural soda (for husband, ha)
  • 2 pounds organic grass-fed ground beef
  • 1 thirteen lb. whole organic free-range turkey
Total: $87.31

Grand total: 208.51

I have no idea how this compares to others, but I would be curious to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment