Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Home made English Muffins and a Tomato-Spinach Sauce

I saw this picture of a tomato-spinach sauce over what looked like an English muffin, and it looked absolutely divine beyond explanation, but there was no accompanying recipe.  So I shot from the hip.

I googled English muffin recipes and landed on this one since the ingredients were mostly okay, unlike the others I saw which called for powdered milk (yuck).  I subbed butter for shortening & honey for sugar.  I was really happy with how they turned out.


For the sauce, I completely winged it and didn't write anything down, which I will live to regret.  I started by heating olive oil and garlic in a pan until it was fragrant, then I added spinach (already cooked) and mushrooms and let them cook until the mushrooms were a little brown.  I lightly pureed a few tomatoes (so they were still chunky) and added them with a little milk.  I brought it to a light boil, then reduced to a simmer and let it simmer for awhile.  I can't remember if I added anything else, but I don't think I did.

Once the sauce had thickened a little bit, I removed the heat and scooped the mixture onto the English muffins, then topped with grated raw mozzarella cheese.


This was so ridiculously delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment