Friday, January 13, 2012

Breakfast Pizza

Eggs!


The local food group had their monthly meeting today and the topic was eggs.  I don't think I can say enough good things about eggs!  Such a wonderful source of a variety of essential & beneficial nutrients.  I personally love eggs, so it isn't hard to incorporate them into my diet at all.  I make them for breakfast pretty much every single morning and never get tired of them.

My contribution to the workshop was a breakfast pizza containing cheese, bacon, cherry tomatoes, and of course, eggs.  For the crust, I used a soaked whole wheat dough.  I mixed together 3 cups of whole wheat flour, 1.5 cups of water, 3 T of apple cider vinegar, and 1/8 a cup of honey, then covered and let sit over night.  In the morning, I proofed a tablespoon of yeast with warm water and honey and added it to my dough.

soaked whole wheat pizza dough


Then it was time to cook the bacon.  Applegate's Sunday Bacon is the BEST bacon I've ever had... (not that I've really had that many different brands in my life because I spent a majority of my life hating bacon?) but this stuff is goooood. 



Next I grated the raw, mild cheddar cheese.  I would have used mozzarella if I had the chance, but I didn't. 




I rolled the dough out and laid it on pizza pan, brushed with olive oil, then added the cheese, bacon & quartered cherry tomatoes.




And the final step was to crack 4 eggs on top before sliding it into a 500 degree oven.


After about 12 minutes, I had a soaked whole wheat breakfast pizza with plenty of protein!


2 comments:

  1. This recipe was so delicious and it was better then I had expected. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete