Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 10

I went to Sprout's first thing this morning to buy some dry black beans.  I soaked them in a bowl of filtered water in a cooler in the back of my car while I took my son to his playgroup & swung by the Farmer's Market for some tomatoes (I also scored a huge bag of green beans for $2.00!)  When I got home, I simmered the beans in boiling water for 45 minutes.  Added some organic frozen corn (cooked, then cooled), diced tomatoes and cilantro.  Black bean & corn salsa.


It was good!  I ate it with organic blue corn chips.  Next time, I'll squeeze some lime juice over it.

My next project for the day was "poptarts."  I was really skeptical about these because the dough is nothing but whole wheat flour, salt, butter and plain yogurt.  I was really curious what it would taste like.  I mixed the ingredients, rolled the dough out, cut them into squares, and added an organic 100% raspberry jelly.  (I looked at the back of a seriously ridiculous amount of organic jelly brands to find the most natural one I could).


I layered another rectangle of dough on top, pressed the edges together with a fork, and baked.


The very most outer edges were really crispy and didn't have much flavor, which made my first couple bites disappointing.  But by the time I got into a little bit, it was soft, flakey, sweet and overall really good.  It definitely satisfied my "sweet" craving, even though it didn't even have sugar in it (other than the natural sugar of the raspberries).  Next time, I think I will make them a little thinner, a little smaller, and try out some other flavors (how oh how will I mimic brown sugar cinnamon?  maybe coconut palm sugar and cinnamon? hmm)

I realized today I've been feeding my daughter a lot of fruit, so I made an extra special effort to get veggies in her:


I steamed carrots, cherry tomatoes, green beans and broccoli, then we pureed them with that marinara sauce I made the other day.  She ate the whole bowl!

I watched a documentary on Netflix today called Forks Over Knives.  It was promoting full-on veganism, but other than the "all animal products are evil" aspect, it was still informative and interesting.  It reaffirmed for me why I'm doing this.  I've been having a hard time with my son, but thinking about his health in the now AND in the long-term really motives me to keep trying.  Tonight he ate scrambled eggs and a slice of sprouted-grain whole wheat toast with peanut butter!  It was nice to see him eat (and enjoy) something that is good for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment