Monday, September 5, 2011

Day 9

I soaked whole oats and walnuts overnight last night, then added raw milk, free-range eggs, pure maple syrup and coconut oil this morning.  I mixed well and baked in a small pan for 45 minutes.  It was pretty tasty!  I was expecting it to be more "crunchy" -- like apple crisp, I guess? -- but it was pretty much the same consistency as a regular bowl of oatmeal.



My son woke up with the sniffles and a cough, so I really wanted to get some healthy, fresh fruit in his body.  I blended together fresh-squeezed orange juice, raw milk, blueberries, fresh watermelon and a splash of maple syrup to sweeten.  I called it "Super juice!" but he wouldn't even try it. :(  I've been making "flavored milk" drinks like this the last few mornings and I really like them.  They're not thick like smoothies, but they're creamy, sweet, yummy and healthy.




I was frustrated most of today.  My son just isn't coping well without processed foods.  Nothing about this has been easy for him and every day is a battle.  It's exhausting and disappointing.  He ate a bowl of brown rice today, but I had to lie and say it was white rice and it only looked brown because of the soy sauce.  I thought this worked well when he asked for a second bowl, but then he said, "This isn't my regular white rice, mom..." and wouldn't eat anymore.  Bah!  Other than the rice, he ate peanuts, cheese and an apple today.  For dinner, he actually ate mashed potatoes (surprising).  I just feel like he isn't eating enough and I worry about his growing body.  On one hand, I want to see him eat to supply his body with nutrients, but on the other hand, I don't want those nutrients to be artifical and processed.  I'm trying to be patient, but it's hard.  I just keep praying he comes around and this gets easier!

1 comment:

  1. It gets easier with trial and error <3 I have these battles too but my list of tried and approved items is getting more encouraging....

    as for the rice, try mixing half white and half brown, (but start the brown way earlier for each to fit their proper cooking time and the brown to get soft,) and then mixed together is harder to tell that there is something different

    and for the smoothie, maybe if you were to run it through a cheese cloth to remove any specks of color/texture/separation, and put it in one of his little dude cups?

    also tbh many of the things that I experience with that I'm trying out for the first time I will make when she's not around (like when she's in the bath or asleep or away) and then present it to her as something instant. I feel like some people (kids and adults alike) just don't want to know the ins and outs of their food, that the more complicated it seems the less appetizing it seems, and just find it more appetizing to feel like the food fairies put it in their kitchen and all they had to do was heat it up and put it in their mouths.

    ReplyDelete