Tuesday, April 24, 2012

April 24 - Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner

For breakfast, the plan was a "breakfast casserole" which I planned on putting sausage in.  But I completely forgot to defrost the meat the day before, and the idea of an egg casserole sounded a lot like scrambled eggs but with about 3x the wait.  So, we just did scrambled eggs with toast instead.


Eggs are usually easily accepted by the kids, but for some reason neither of the older two would eat them, so they scarfed down the toast and snuffed the eggs.  At least the baby ate his eggs.

Since the eggs didn't go over so well, I was happy to be able to serve them one of their favorite foods for lunch: hot dogs!



Ew.  I think cut up hot dogs is probably one of the most unappetizing-looking things.   But they taste good!  We like The Great Organic Hot Dogs from Applegate. I fry 'em up in a cast iron skillet.

And for dinner, I made this Baked Three Cheese Chicken Pasta.  I had already-cooked chicken in the fridge from when I had cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot last week.  2 cups of cooked chicken, 3 cups of milk, 1.5 cups pasta, and a copious amount of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese... oh, my.  Creamy.  Cheesy.  Chickeny.  What's not to love?


I served it with roasted broccoli, which I drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with Himalayan pink salt and pepper. I know I already gave a shout out to Trader Joe's yesterday, but they deserve another shout out for this lovely gem:


In case you don't know, not all sea salt is created equal.  Since all salt comes from the sea, any salt can technically be labeled "sea salt."  It's safe to say that if your salt is white, it's probably not the good salt.  Unfortunately, the table and cooking salt found in most homes, restaurants, and all processed foods, is empty of any nutritional value.   It's heavily refined, and refined table salt is of chemical, inorganic origin and has junk in it.  It's lacking in the precious trace minerals that make salt good for us!  Pink, Himalayan salt, on the other hand, is a different salt entirely.  Due to lack of refining, it doesn’t lose its mineral content, as do other salts.  It contains the same 84 natural minerals and elements found in the human body.  It's also expensive, like $18-$20 a bottle every where I've looked.  Except at Trader Joe's!  This little bottle with a nifty grinder was $1.99.  Seriously!  Two bucks for Himalayan pink salt!  Two bucks for better health!


My daughter loved the cheesy baked chicken pasta, and my son loved the broccoli, as usual.  For whatever reason I will never understand, my son has always had a natural love for broccoli. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment